The Chicago Daily News operated as a news-gathering and
organization on a large scale (DN-0088946).
The newspaper was also
noted for its social service activities and popular promotions
(DN-0009593). One historian has described it as Chicago's first
"urban" newspaper -- the first Chicago newspaper to assume
that it spoke to and for a broad cross-section of the city's residents.
The paper's editors believed that it should serve as advocate for the public
good rather than focus
narrowly on the political agenda of its publisher or the interests of one
element of the population. The Chicago Daily News also
established radio station WMAQ in the mid-1920s and used it to promote the
newspaper and vice versa (DN-0077572, DN-0084064).
In 1902 when this collection begins, the newspaper was already a major
institution in the city. It was headquartered at 15 North Wells Street,
earlier numbered as 123 Fifth Avenue (DN-0001447a). The single address is
misleading, however. Offices and printing presses filled three
adjacent basements in the Loop business district. Huge rolls of paper
were delivered regularly to the presses at the old building (DN-0001448,
DN-0056942) despite the heavy traffic along Wells Street beside the elevated